Special Conditions for Malta University Residence
It is the duty and responsibility of the student to read and abide by these special conditions. The Management of the Residence shall in all cases assume that these mandatory conditions have been read by the student.
At the time of booking, students are required to forward a deposit of €350.00 (three hundred and fifty euro) The deposit will be retained by Management as a ‘guarantee’ and will be refunded in local currency (less any payments due) at the end of the contract.
Students who depart or are dismissed before the expiry of their accommodation contract, will not be refunded their deposit. The student will also remain liable for the full contractual charges.
Any students who leave the Residence prior to their original departure date, will only be allowed limited access into the Residence.
The student agrees to:
1. To pay the rental charges as detailed in accommodation contract.
Use of premises
2. To use the premises for residential purposes as the student’s principal home and not to operate a business or use the premises for any illegal purpose.
Racial and other harassment
3. Not to commit or allow visiting guests to commit any form of harassment on the grounds of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability which may interfere with the peace and comfort of, or cause offence to other guests, visitors, staff or neighbours.
4. Not to play or allow to be played any radio, television, record or tape recording or compact disk, or musical instrument so loudly that it causes a nuisance or annoyance to other guests or can be heard outside the building. Maltese law does not allow loud music in a residential area after 11pm.
5. Not to keep any animals at the Residence
6. Not to keep, or allow to be kept, or to consume any illegal drugs in the building.
7. Not to store or use petrol, paraffin or any other inflammable liquid or material in the premises or any part of the building.
8. To maintain the Premises in a clean and tidy state and to pay any costs incurred by the Residence in making good any damage to the Premises or to the Residence fixtures, fittings and furnishings or to the common parts caused by the student or any invited visitor to the premises, fair wear and tear excepted. Only Residence employees and contractors are authorized to carry out repairs, maintenance or alterations to the premises or the Residence fixtures, fittings & furnishings.
9. Not to remove or make any alterations to the Premises or any fixtures, fittings, or furniture provided by the Residence or bring onto the Premises large items of personal furniture. Not to stick posters/signs or any such items on furniture or on walls.
10. The housekeeping service consists of a weekly change & clean of linen, sheets and towels in bedrooms, bathrooms and common areas. Garbage bags and toilet paper are provided only once on arrival. It is a must that students buy their own toilet paper and garbage bags thereafter.
11. To report to the Residence promptly any disrepair or defect for which the Residence is responsible in the structure or exterior of the premises or in any installation therein or in the common parts.
12. To allow access by the Residence employees in order to provide the services detailed in this agreement and to allow the Residence employees, or contractors acting on behalf of the Residence, access at all reasonable hours of the daytime to inspect the condition of the premises or to carry out repairs or other works to the premises or adjoining property.
13. Not to take in any lodger or allow anyone else to live in the premises. Residents allowing guests to sleep over without the University Residence’s consent, will be held responsible and fined.
14. To ensure that all visitors entertained by the student are signed in and have left the building by 23:00 hours. Any visiting guests staying beyond 23:00 hours will be charged at Short Stay rates.
15. To comply with the house rules as listed in this contract as well as other rules that could be introduced from time to time. These rules exist in order to allow good management of the Residence.
Use of Computers & Internet
16. Not to make illicit use of, alter computer settings or damage computers dedicated to student use. Copying of software and hacking is a crime and will be dealt with in respect of the laws of Malta.
17. No room changes will be allowed unless otherwise granted permission by the management. Any room changes will incur an administration fee of Eur60.
18. To remove all personal possessions, to leave the premises and Residence’s fixtures and fittings in good condition and return the keys of the premises to the reception desk by 10 am on the day the contract expires. The Residence accepts no responsibility for anything left on the premises by the student at the end of the contract and may charge for the cost of disposal of any items left behind.
Ending of Contract
Grounds for ending Contract
19. The Residence can end the Contract by issuing a written notice on one or more of the grounds listed below:-
a. The Student has failed to pay the charges which are due;
b. The Student has failed to comply with or breached any of the conditions of this agreement;
c. The Student has caused damage to the property, fixtures or fittings of the building to which this contract refers;
d. The Student has caused serious or persistent nuisance to other residents, neighbours or staff or committed acts of harassment on the grounds of race, colour, religion, gender, sexuality, age or disability;
20. The Residence agrees it will not normally give less than seven days’ notice terminating the contract. The period of notice will be detailed in the written notice, which will also give details of why it has been issued.
21. In the case of seriously disruptive or violent behaviour the notice given by the Residence may specify a shorter period than seven days.
Safety and Security:
Reception- Available 24/7 and will be at your service for whatever you may need or ask for. At reception, one can do photocopies (printing options from the Study Room downstairs), buy mobile (Vodafone/ GO) cards, low rates international telecards, stationery, Laundry coins, Iron & Iron Board leasing, reservations enquiries, tennis Court bookings etc.
Damage and Cleanliness- To maintain the premises in a clean and tidy state and to pay for any costs incurred by the Residence in repairing any damage or any extra cleaning measures required.
Health and Safety- To comply with health and safety regulations given by the Residence and not to engage in bad conduct such as drunkenness or jumping in the pool, which is likely to disrupt or endanger fellow residents. Smoking is strictly prohibited in all accommodation units and carries a fine of Euro 60.
Lodgers Visitors-Not to take in any non-paying lodger or allow anyone else to live on premises without the Residence’s permission/ consent. Any guests visiting must leave their ID card at reception and can’t stay longer than 11pm. Any visitors staying beyond 11pm, will be charged the rate for a one night stay. Anyone caught sleeping here without the Residence staff’s permission will be charged 60.00 Euro himself/ herself and a warning issued to the resident who brought them in.
Bookings- All bookings of friends or family are to be submitted to reception at least 1 week prior to their arrival. Any sole occupancy students (staying in a single room) will still need to pay for an extra guest.
Doctor- For an emergency doctor who can come and see the patient at the residence, kindly contact reception. The visit is at a charge.
Room Changes- No room changes are allowed, however should it be possible to accommodate a room change request, a 60.00 Euro administration fee will apply. Anyone caught sleeping in a room other than his allocated one will be fined and issued a warning.
Garbage- Is to be placed daily outside your townhouse door neatly and sealed in a garbage bag by not later than noon. You will find a garbage bag in the common area on the first day, but then it is up to you to buy garbage bags for daily use. The residents of any townhouses left with rubbish all over the place will be fined.
Cleaning- Is done once a week with change of linen and towels.
Security- You are to ensure that the front door of your townhouse is locked at all times; same goes for your cupboards (food and kitchen utensils) and personal belongings. We are not responsible for any missing kitchen utensils or any other personal belongings. Padlocks are available at reception. We have 16 CCTV cameras operating 24/7 throughout the whole premises for security purposes.
Swimming Pool- Use of swimming pool is limited to 7pm daily. The pool will be closed (out of use) from November to March. Should this not be abided by, we would have to take immediate action. Should you want to organize a pool party/ BBQ, you would have to first consult with the Management for permission. Use of pool after hours or during closure, will incur a fee of Euro 60.
Dismissal- Anyone who is dismissed from the Residence will not be allowed to return or visit fellow students.
This Agreement shall be read and construed according to the Laws of Malta. The Maltese Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to decide disputes arising from this agreement.